September 25, 2012

A Very Quick Update

I was supposed to have my 3-D/4-D sonogram this morning. However, it had to be rescheduled (major bummer), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will happen this Thursday morning. I hope to have images and perhaps a video to share with you all then.

In other news, I've decided on an art project for the nursery that involves me creating a number of canvas paintings (very simple ones, though!) for the room. We'll see how that turns out - I'm no artist by any stretch! I'll let you know whether I succeed or fail. Probably the latter, but I'm staying optimistic.

Also, why is it so difficult to find a rocking chair for the nursery that I like AND can afford? Good grief, what a hunt for a chair. As I said in a previous post about the nursery, I do NOT want a glider chair; I am looking for a much simpler, more modern-looking chair; something I'll actually use elsewhere in my house when it is no longer needed in the nursery.

Dorel





Of course this Dorel chair isn't available; I could've gotten it at Walmart for $90. It would have been so simple!

Jasper
This Jasper chair is available for $200, and I like the lines of it, but it is a tad wider than I would prefer. It's still in the running though; I haven't ruled it out just because of my width prejudice.

Holden
The Holden chair is available for $200 as well, and is clearly not as wide as the Jasper chair. The potential issue is that the back is reclined quite a bit; product reviewers noted that it is reclined way too far to comfortably feed a baby. Granted, I could always use a pillow behind my back to help with that issue, but the reclined chair back is the reason for my hesitation on this one. Otherwise I love how it looks.

Chevron
The Chevron chair looks a little wide as well, but it doesn't really matter because I am not paying $700 for a rocking chair for the nursery. Sorry, I'm just not.

Ikea Poang
The Ikea Poang chair would work if the back wasn't reclined so far. It's available for between $69 and $219 depending on the finish and the fabric. I sat in one of these a few weeks ago at Ikea, and decided it really did lean back too far.

There are a whole bunch of other examples I could show you, but the story so far has been the same - they're either not available, reclined too far, or too expensive. For instance, I found one I really liked, but then found out it was on sale for $1,566. A little steep in my book. My backup plan for if I really never find anything that is close to perfect is to buy a cheap wooden porch-style chair, paint it a fun color, and put simple cushions on it. But for now, the hunt is still on...

4 comments:

  1. I like the fun color on a wooden porch chair idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be honest with you -- we have a rocking chair in Deacon's room but I never used it to feed him. I always found myself out on the couch or in the chair in our bedroom. I know that's probably not the norm with other mamas -- most of them probably DO use their rocking chair/glider to feed their little ones, but I always wanted to be out in the LR or where Jeff was. Just throwing that out there, in case you never find the perfect chair. :)

    That may or may not be helpful. It's just my 2 cents. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindsay - for me, the benefit of having a rocking chair in the nursery would be for those middle-of-the-night feedings and/or crying spells. During the day and in the evening I imagine I would also just feed him on the couch or wherever. We'll see; a rocking chair is not a must, so if I really don't find something I like, I may just decide on something else. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. Rocking chair is definitely just for the soothing comfort, not the feeding so much. You do tend to sit still when feeding, so the reclining angle might not be such a big issue.

    ReplyDelete